Medical Tourism

Why not getting the most of your visit to Argentina by enjoying the magnificent places this country has to offer? Our tailor-made plans will allow you to discover part of Argentina in addition to your visit to Aesthetic Up.

Tigre: Boat trips, Fruit market
Puerto Madero: Gourmet Tour
San Telmo: Culture, Antiques
La Boca: Caminito, Tango
Shopping Tours

Tango, European architecture, cultural places, historical tours, an exquisite cuisine and a wide array of comfortable accommodation facilities, along with tourist attractions unique to South America, will turn your health trip into a true tourist destination. There is a lot to discover, to know and enjoy. We invite you to try a different trip.

Renew yourself, on the inside and the outsider. Be a part of Buenos Aires.

Palermo / Belgrano

Bosques de Palermo

With over 80 hectares, it is one of the biggest green areas of Buenos Aires. The “porteños” usually visit the park to picnic or practice sports.

Its construction began in 1874 by order of President Domingo F. Sarmiento. The original layout was designed by Oldendorf, Manduit and Wysocky; who were assisted by the Belgian architect Jules Dormal (one of the designers of the “Teatro Colón” and the “Congreso”). As of 1892, the one in charge of many reforms and expansion was Carlos Thays (the greatest landscaper of Argentina between the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century).
The park holds 2 artificial lakes which may be traveled by boat or water-bike. These woods have some 12.000 trees, many of which are rosewoods, eucalyptus, talas and ombúes.

“El Rosedal” is located within the woods; this is a garden with over 12.000 rosebushes.

Barrio Chino

This quarter came up during the 1980’s because of the large amount of oriental families that began to settle, mainly from Taiwan.

It is visited because of its gastronomic and cultural offer: restaurants, supermarkets that sell oriental produce, great fishmongers’ and greengrocers’, manga and anime shops (Japanese comics and videos), decoration objects, etc. Within the quarter you can find, among other religious institutions, one of the few Buddhist temples of the city (Templo Chong Kuan, Montañeses 2175).

Plaza Julio Cortázar

Located at “Palermo Viejo”, this square is popularly known as “Placita Serrano” and was given its official name after the Argentine writer who used Palermo as the background for many of his stories (such as “Simulacros”). During the 1980’s bars and restaurants began to open around the square and nowadays, the area is full of clothing and design stores.

Palermo Soho / Palermo Hollywood

With its artistic and bohemian style, in Palermo Soho there is activity during day and night, especially on weekends. The people visit it because of its pubs, (in some of them there are musical shows or plays,) restaurants, (they cover from relatively cheap food to haute cuisine,) and object design stores, with clothes or furniture. The recent custom of renaming some areas of Palermo Viejo extend to the north of Plaza Cortázar: on the other side of the Metropolitan Railroad “Palermo Hollywood” is located, an area of films and television studies, production companies, and radios. The streets of Palermo Hollywood are full of visitors who look for trendy pubs or international and ethnic food restaurants.

Malba

This is one of the most modern museums in Buenos Aires. It holds the Constantini collection which counts over 200 pieces (paintings, sculptures, engravings, photographs and objects) of various Latin American artists of the 20th century. The building is covered in limestone and has great glass and steel surfaces.

Among many others, there are pieces by Frida Kahlo, Wilfredo Lam, Roberto Matta, Diego Rivera, Joaquín Tores-García, Antonio Berni, Emiliano Di Cavalcanti, Jorge de la Vega, Tarsila do Amaral, Pedro Figari, Lygia Clark, Helio Oiticica, Liliana Porter, Guillermo Kuitca and José Bedia Valdés.

The museum also holds a cinema, a café, a gift shop and a book store.

Estadio River Plate

This stadium is popularly known as “El Monumental.” It was one of the first big stadiums in South America, with a seating capacity of 70,000. Consecutive improvements extended it until its current seating capacity of 76,609, the biggest of all the stadiums in all the country. The National Football Team use to play at this stadium and it is also venue of massive musical shows.

Campo Argentino de Polo

The polo horses (ponies) and the Argentine polo players are considered the best of the world. This field is also known as “La Catedral del Polo” (the polo cathedral).

Its stands may host up to 30000 spectators; the stadium is also used for musical events and other sports, such as the “Pato” (also a horseback sport) and field hockey.

Some of the most important teams are “La Dolfina”, “Indios Chapaleufú”, “Coronel Suárez”, “Ellerstina” and “La Aguada”. The “Campeonato Argentino Abierto de Polo” (Argentine Polo Open Championship), which is the most important tournament worldwide, begins by the end of November.

Hipódromo de Palermo

This is the traditional racetrack of Latin America; its 2400 meter sand track is among the most important of the world. Since the track was opened, horse racing became very popular among the “porteños”; its most renowned fan was Carlos Gardel, who used to sing from the studs.

Zoo

In 1888, the government of Buenos Aires ordered that a part of the “Tres de Febrero” park (Bosques de Palermo) was to be turned into a zoo. On its opening, the zoo hosted 650 animals of 53 different species from all over the world.

The zoo was privatized in 1991 and was overhauled. It currently has an aquarium (sea-lions, penguins, sharks and tropical fish), a reptile house and a walk that reproduces the environment of a rainforest.
Jardín Botánico.

It was opened in 1898; it was designed by the French landscaper Carlos Thays, who also designed some of the most important green areas of Buenos Aires, such as the “Tres de Febrero” park and “San Martín square”. The gardens cover over 7 hectares and host some 6000 plant species; it also has a botanical library, three style gardens (a French, a Roman, and a Japanese one), a herbarium, five greenhouses, an English style house and 32 sculptures.

Among others, the park has antique native trees such as rosewood, cedar, ibirá-puitá, quebracho colorado, carnaval and aguaribay. Among the foreign species, there are sequoias, magnolias, oaks, sycamores and ginkgos.

Recoleta / Barrio Norte

Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes

This is the most important fine art museum in the country, and is among the most important in the world. Its Argentine art collection is the largest one in the world. It hosts pieces by El Greco, Rodin, Goya, Renoir, Degas, Cézanne, and Picasso, among others. Some of the works by Argentine artists are by Cándido López, Spilimbergo, Pueyrredón, Fader, Quinquela Martín, Xul Solar, Berni, Alonso, de la Vega, Gorriarena, Seguí and others. The museum also has a photography room, a pre-Columbian Andean hall, two sculpture terraces and a library with over 150000 books.

Cementerio de la Recoleta

This was the first public cemetery of the city; nowadays it is the fanciest and most aristocratic one. Many of the Independece heroes, presidents, politicians, military men, scientists, artists and celebrities are buried in its almost 6 hectares.

Monserrat / San Nicolás

Obelisco

In each of its sides, the “Obelisco” shows a “porteño” historical fact: the first foundation of 1536, the second and definitive one in 1580, the first time the national flag was raised in the city and the constitution of Buenos Aires as the national capital in 1880. The monument is one of the main meeting points of the city, both for political demonstrations and sport achievements. At first, it was very resisted by the inhabitants of the city, but today is one of the most widely known symbols of the city.

Avenida Corrientes

It is one of the most representative streets of Buenos Aires, and one of the most beloved by the “porteños.” Corrientes is the avenue of the bookstores, the cafes, the theatres, and the pizzerias.

Teatro Colón

It is one of the most important lyric theaters in the world. During the 20th century, many of the most renowned conductors, singers and dancers performed in its stage. The main stage, which is horseshoe shaped, is considered to have one of the best sound in the world. The dome is decorated by the painter Raúl Soldi. The capacity of the theater is of 3542 seating spectators and 700 standing.

Some of the most notorious conductors that played in the theater are Richard Strauss, Stravinsky, Saint-Saëns, Manuel de Falla, Aaron Copland, von Karajan, Leonard Bernstein, Zubin Mehta and Daniel Baremboim; some of the singers area Caruso, Chaliapin, Callas, Kraus, Carreras, Domingo; and some of the dancers are Pavlova, Nijinsky, Nureyev, Plisetskaya, Barishnikov, Bocca, Guerra and Herrera.

Teatro San Martín

This is one of the most renowned and most modern theatres of Latin America. The theater was first opened in 1944 as Municipal Theater; it was renamed in 1950 as “General San Martín”, and the construction of the current building took place between 1954 and 1960. The 13 floor-tall with 4 basements building is made in concrete, glass and metal works.

The theater holds three stages, a cinema where special seasons are played (usually non-commercial movies), several exposition halls and a photo gallery of over 3000 square feet. It also has a drama school and scenography, costume, special effects workshops.

Café Tortoni

It is the oldest café of the city; the marble and wooden tables, the antique photos on the walls, its traditional menu, the waiters and the customers turn it into the epitome of the bar of Buenos Aires.

Since the beginning of the 20th century, the Tortoni receives artists, politicians and white collar worker from downtown Buenos Aires. Among many others, it was usually visited by Jorge Luis Borges, Luigi Pirandello, García Lorca, Julio Cortázar, Arturo Rubinstein and Carlos Gardel. Pictures, poems and busts placed in its halls tell the story of the bar.

The Tortoni holds jazz and tango shows. Some of the typical dishes and desserts of the menu can currently be found only in this bar, such as the meringued milk.

Casa de la Cultura

It was originally built for the “La Prensa” newspaper. Nowadays, it holds the “Casa de la Cultura” of the government of Buenos Aires. It is one of the most luxurious 19th century buildings in the city.

Galerías Pacífico

The building was originally built to house the Au Bon Marché Argentina stores, which never opened due to economical problems. In 1896, the galleries were the first house of the National Museum of Fine Arts. In 1945, the building was remodeled by architects Jorge Aslan and Héctor Ezcurra. Their work divided the commercial area from the office’s one, and the building was crowned with a 4800 square feet dome covered with paintings of some of the most prestigious of the time: Spilimbergo, Berni, Colmeiro and Urruchúa. After years of being abandoned, the galleries were reformed and reopened in 1990 as a mall. At that moment, four paintings by Romulo Macció, Josefina Robirosa, Guillermo Roux and Carlos Alonso were added. The building also hosts the Jorge Luis Borges Cultural Centre and the Julio Bocca dance school.

Manzana de las Luces / Iglesia San Ignacio

Some of the most ancient buildings of the city are located on this square, such as the San Ignacio church, the oldest one of the city. Its tracing can already be seen on the first maps of the city of 1580. The San Ignacio School opened in 1662, and quickly became the meeting point for the “porteño” intellectuals. In 1863, the national state took over the school which still worked on the “Manzana” and was renamed “Colegio Nacional Buenos Aires”. Nowadays, it is one of the two most prestigious schools of the city, along with the Carlos Pellegrini School.

The construction of the San Ignacio church began in 1686, over the adobe walls of an already existing temple. It was opened in 1722, the works were charged to the Jesuit architects Krauss, Bianchi and Prímolo. By the end of the 18th century the church acted as the cathedral of Buenos Aires, and was the headquarters of the resistance of the English invasion in 1806.

La Boca / San Telmo

Caminito – La Boca

Caminito Street is one of the favorite walks of tourists and “porteños”. Covered with paintings and sculptures, it is surrounded by typical houses from La Boca, with painted sheet walls of different colors. Its winding route is because it follows the course of a stream that flowed until the beginning of the 20th Century. The area was traditionally known as “Puntin” (bridge’s diminutive in Genovese dialect.) In Caminito and its surrounding areas, street shows and a craftworks fair open on Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Cancha de Boca

Built in a horseshoe shape, with three superimposed stands and a steep inclination angle, this football (soccer) stadium may hold up to 50000 spectators. Because of its shape it is popularly known as “La Bombonera” (candy box). The stands and the field are separated by only a few meters, which put the spectators really close to the game.

Parque Lezama

The park is located in one of the few natural hills of the city. Some of the historians believe that this was the site in which the first founding of Buenos Aires, in 1536. The park has several sculptures, such as a roman wolf, monuments, an amphitheater, a lookout point and a fountain. The National Historic Museum is located in the house the Lezama family inhabited during the 19th century. The Orthodox Russian Church is located facing the park, which can be recognized by its Muscovite style and its blue domes.

Retiro / Puerto Madero

Museo de Arte Hispano Fernández Blanco

The building was originally erected by the architect Martín Noel for him to live in it during the 1920’s; it has a neo-colonial style, combining aspects from the Spanish and American colonies. In 1936, the “porteño” government bought the house along with Noel’s art collection. After Isaac Fernández Blanco donated his art collection in 1947, the museum was renamed after him. The museum hosts one of the largest collections of Spanish American art, mainly silverware from Perú, Alto Perú and the La Plata River areas; paintings from Alto Perú and Cusco; imagery from Quito and from the Jesuits; and decorative arts.

Among the minor collections, there are tortoiseshell or horn ornamental combs that women used in the La Plata River during the first half of the 19th century.

Puente de la Mujer

The bridge is 160 meters long and 6 meters wide. Its metallic mast rises 39 meters. The bridge, which weighs approximately 800 tons, is prepared to turn each time a boat needs to come through. The turning mechanism is one of the largest ones in the world, with 20 computer managed electric engines on the main axis. The piece represents a couple dancing tango, where the mast stands for the man and the curved shape of the bridge stands for the woman.

Reserva ecológica (Nature reserve)

The reserve is the biggest green area of Buenos Aires; its 350 hectares are inhabited by hundreds of species of flora and fauna native from the Chaco-Pampeana and Río de la Plata regions. During the 1970’s and 1980’s the area neighboring the Southern riverfront was land filled with debris. The land reclaimed from the river was colonized by local fauna and flora, and was declared a Natural park and reserve in 1986.

Round its walkways, visitors can see pastures and alder woods typical to the region as well as various species of birds, mammals, amphibians and reptiles.

The paths of the reserve, which lead to the river, may be traveled on foot or by bike, and there are even guided tours tourists can take part in.

Costanera Sur

This has been one of the most popular walks of Buenos Aires for over a century. People go to the riverfront to ride their bikes, to jog or to spend the day with their families. The municipal beach club was opened and its beaches quickly turned into the most visited of the Río de la Plata. During the 1940’s and 1950’s restaurants and cafés opened where “tangueros” and comedians used to perform, such as Aníbal Troilo or José “Pepitito” Marrone. In the 1960’s, the area lost importance. In the 1990’s and 2000’s the riverfront and the parks were restored. Nowadays, it is visited both at day and night, especially during weekends. The wide walkways have “carritos”, food stands that specialize in bondiola sandwiches (pork meat).